This recipe was found on Pinterest and was originally from Woman’s Day magazine. Try adding red bell pepper for an additional flavor boost.
Prep time: 25 minutes
1 lb. pizza dough
3 Tablespoons olive oil
2 small eggplants (about 1 lb. total), sliced
2 medium tomatoes (about 1 lb. total), cut into wedges
Kosher salt and pepper
1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
1/2 cup ricotta cheese
1/2 cup red bell pepper, optional
Grated Parmesan cheese, for garnish
1. Heat grill to medium. Shape the pizza dough into two 10-in. rounds.
2. Place on a baking sheet and brush top of each round with 1 teaspoon of the oil.
3. Brush the eggplant slices and tomato wedges with 2 Tablespoons of the oil and season with 1/4 teaspoon
each salt and pepper.
4. Grill the eggplant, covered, until slightly charred and tender, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Grill the tomatoes until slightly charred, about 2 minutes per side.
5. Transfer to a plate and cover with foil to keep warm.
6. Place the pizza dough oiled side down on the grill and cook, covered, until the tops begin to bubble and the bottoms become crisp, about 2 minutes.
7. Brush the tops of the dough with the remaining 2 teaspoons oil. Turn over and grill until golden brown and crisp, about 2 minutes more.
8. Transfer the grilled dough back to the baking sheet or to a cutting board.
9. Top with the eggplant, tomatoes and basil. Dollop with the ricotta and sprinkle with red bell pepper, if desired. Garnish with grated Parmesan cheese.