Jessica Gavin is the author of this delightful street corn salad. This recipe was found on the website titled “Friday Night Snacks and More”. You’ll find many more of Jessica’s creations at www.jessicagavin.com.
Prep time: 18 minutes
Cook time: 12 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
4 ears of Sweet Corn (3 cups cooked kernels)
1/2 cup Red or White Onion diced, 1/4-inch dice
1/2 cup Red or Green Bell Pepper, 1/4-inch dice
1/2 cup Cucumber, 1/4-inch dice
1 Avocado, 1/4-inch dice
1 clove Garlic, minced
1 Jalapeño, minced
1 Tablespoon Cilantro, chopped, plus more for garnish
1/2 cup Queso Fresco or Cotija Cheese
1/4 cup Greek yogurt, non-fat, plain
2 Tablespoons Lime juice and zest of one Lime
1/4 teaspoon ground Chipotle pepper, more to taste
1/4 teaspoon ground Cumin
1 Tablespoon Olive oil
1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
For the Salad:
1. Lightly brush each corn cob with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
2. Heat grill to high heat. Add a small amount of vegetable oil on a folded piece of paper towel, and then carefully grease the grill grates.
3. Once the grill is nice and hot, add the corn. Close the lid and cook about 2-3 minutes on each side, flipping and covering about 12 minutes total. You want to achieve some char marks on each side.
4. Set corn aside and allow it to cool down enough to be easily handled.
5. Carefully cut the corn kernels off the cob on a cutting board. (Or try the technique of standing it upright in the tube part of a tube pan, then cutting straight down, allowing kernels to fall into the pan.)
6. In a large bowl combine corn, onion, bell pepper, cucumber, avocado, garlic, jalapeno, cilantro, and 1/4 cup of cheese.
For the Dressing:
In a medium-sized bowl whisk together yogurt, lime juice, lime zest, chipotle pepper, cumin, and salt.
Slowly drizzle in olive oil and whisk into dressing until smooth. Taste and add more salt and pepper as desired.
Right before serving, combine the salad with half the dressing. Drizzle the top with the remaining dressing as desired, and crumble the remaining 1/4 cup of cheese over all. Add some chopped cilantro and freshly ground pepper to taste.
Add diced avocado to 1 cup of water plus 1 Tablespoon lime or lemon juice and allow to soak for 5 minutes before draining and adding to the salad. This helps slow down the browning, especially if you are not serving the salad right away.
Greetings to each of you, We've arrived at week 16, our final CSA share of the season. Thank you for your loyalty and support...