This recipe is featured on allrecipes.com. Made ahead, it’s an excellent dish to serve to guests, if your family doesn’t get to it first!
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour
Ready to eat: 2 hours, 20 minutes
3 large beets
1 Tablespoon olive oil
salt and ground black pepper to taste
1 bunch fresh kale, cut into bite-size pieces
1/2 cup chopped cashews
1/4 cup dried cherries
2 Tablespoons golden raisins
1/2 cup apple cider
1/2 lemon, juiced
1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
2 Tablespoons olive oil, or more to taste
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
2. Trim roots and stems from beets. Coat beets with 1 tablespoon olive oil and sprinkle with salt and black pepper.
3. Place beets onto prepared baking sheet.
4. Roast beets for 30 minutes; turn beets over and continue roasting until tender, 30 minutes to 1 hour more.
5. Let beets cool. Peel skins from beets and cut into 1-inch cubes. Toss cooked beets with kale, cashews, dried cherries, and golden raisins in a large salad bowl.
6. Whisk apple cider, lemon juice, Dijon mustard, garlic, and cider vinegar in a bowl.
7. Slowly drizzle 2 tablespoons olive oil into apple cider mixture, whisking constantly, until dressing is combined.
8. Pour dressing over salad and toss to coat. Refrigerate at least 1 hour for flavors to blend before serving.