butter for baking dish
4 bell peppers, halved lengthwise, seeded
2 cups vegetable broth
1 cup quinoa
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 small yellow onion, diced
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 cup canned sweet corn
1 cup canned black beans
1 cup grape tomatoes, quartered
1/2 teaspoon chili powder, or to taste
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 tablespoon dried parsley (you can also use cilantro)
salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
2 cups 4-Cheese Mexican Blend, divided
plain yogurt or light sour cream, for garnish, optional
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
1. Grease a baking dish with butter; arrange halved bell peppers in baking dish and set aside.
2. In a small saucepan, combine vegetable broth and quinoa and bring to a boil; lower to a simmer, cover, and continue to cook for 15 minutes.
3. Remove from heat, gently fluff with a fork and set aside.
4. Heat olive oil over medium heat.
5. Add diced onions and season with salt; cook for 1 minute, or until translucent.
6. Stir in sweet corn and beans; continue to cook for 2 minutes, or until fragrant.
7. Stir in grape tomatoes and cooked quinoa; season with chili powder, cayenne pepper, dried parsley, salt and pepper.
8. Add 1 cup cheese; mix well and continue to cook for 3 to 4 minutes, or until everything is heated through and cheese is melted.
9. Remove from heat.
10. Divide mixture evenly between peppers, packing the quinoa mixture tightly into the hollow pepper shells.
11. Bake for 30 minutes.
12. Remove from oven and top each pepper with remaining cheese.
13. Put back in the oven and continue to bake for 5 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
14. Remove from oven and let cool 5 minutes.
15. Serve with a dollop of plain yogurt or light sour cream.