This recipe was found on the Taste of Home website. It goes together quickly and makes a delicious appetizer.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
10 fresh basil leaves or 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
2 cups Roma or plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
2 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
Salt and pepper to taste
1/3 cup olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 French bread baguette
1. Stack 5 basil leaves one on top of each other; roll up. Slice crosswise thinly. Repeat with remaining basil.
2. Combine tomatoes, balsamic vinegar and basil. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Combine olive oil and garlic in a small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on high 30 seconds.
4. Cut bread into slightly angled 1/4-in. pieces. Brush with olive oil mixture; place on baking pan.
5. Bake at 425° for 6-8 minutes or until golden brown.
6. Just before serving, drain excess liquid from tomatoes. Spoon mixture evenly over bread slices. Serve immediately.
Yield: about 2-1/2 dozen.