Recipe by BD Weld
15 mini sweet bell peppers (cut lengthwise, remove seeds)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 red onion, diced
3 gloves garlic, crushed
1 lb ground mild Italian sausage
5 button mushrooms, diced
1/2 cup tomato paste
1/2 cup tomato sauce
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Heat oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add onions and cook until translucent, 3 to 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook 1 more minute. Add Italian sausage and mushrooms; cook until meat is browned, 4 to 6 minutes then drain.
3. Please drained sausage mixture in a large mixing bowl along with tomato paste, tomato sauce, crushed red pepper, oregano, rosemary, black pepper and thyme. Mix until well combined.
4. Fill each pepper half with mixture and place on prepared baking sheet.
5. Bake in preheated oven until cooked through, about 30 minutes.