Jill Winger, creator of The Pioneer Homestead, shares this delicious recipe with us. We also included her recipe for pumpkin pie spice, in case you’d like to make your own.
2 cups Pumpkin puree
3/4 cup Honey
1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon Sea salt
3 teaspoons Pumpkin pie spice* (See Cook’s Note for how to make your own pie spice)
3/4 cup Heavy cream
2 Eggs, lightly beaten
1 unbaked Pie crust
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
2. Mix the pumpkin puree, honey, vanilla, salt, and spice together.
3. Mix in the cream, then gently beat in the eggs.
4. Carefully pour the mixture into the pie shell.
5. Cover the edges of the crust with a pie shield (or aluminum foil) and bake at 375 degrees for 25 minutes.
6. Remove the shield/foil, and bake for another 20-30 minutes, or until a knife inserted into the center of the pie comes out clean.
7. Cool and serve with a generous dollop of real whipped cream.
8. Refrigerate the leftovers.
*(Cook’s Note: To make your own pumpkin pie spice, you will need the following ingredients)
4 Tablespoons Ground cinnamon
4 teaspoons Ground nutmeg
3 teaspoons Ground ginger
1 teaspoon Allspice (optional)
Mix all spices together; store in an airtight container.
There are other versions of pumpkin pie spice available. Some include ground cloves–use the one according to your family’s personal preference .