Found on the myrecipes.com website and originating from Southern Living, this is an easy and colorful way to use your golden beets.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Bake time: 1 hour 7 minutes
Cool time: 30 minutes
6 medium-size golden Beets (about 6 oz. each)
1 cup Pecan halves
1/4 cup Rice wine vinegar
1 large Shallot, minced
2 Tablespoons light brown Sugar
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground Black pepper
1/2 teaspoon Vanilla extract
1/4 cup Canola oil
1 (5-oz.) package gourmet mixed Salad greens, thoroughly washed
1 cup (4 oz.) crumbled Gorgonzola cheese
1. Preheat oven to 400°. Trim beet stems to 1 inch; gently wash beets. Wrap individually in aluminum foil, and place on a jelly-roll pan.
2. Bake at 400° for 1 hour or until tender. Transfer to a wire rack, and let cool, wrapped in foil, 30 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, decrease oven temperature to 350°. Bake pecans in a single layer in a jelly-roll pan 5 to 7 minutes or until lightly toasted and fragrant. Cool completely on wire rack (about 15 minutes).
4. Whisk together vinegar and next 5 ingredients (shallot, light brown sugar, salt, pepper and vanilla extract) in a small bowl. Add oil in a slow, steady stream, whisking constantly until smooth.
5. Peel beets and remove stem ends. Cut beets into 1/2-inch wedges; gently toss with 1/3 cup of the vinegar mixture.
6. Arrange greens on a serving platter. Top with beet mixture, Gorgonzola cheese, and pecans; serve with remaining vinaigrette.
Greetings to each of you, We've arrived at week 16, our final CSA share of the season. Thank you for your loyalty and support...