1 1/2-2 pounds brussel sprouts
5 slices bacon, diced
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 Tbsp. butter
1 shallot, diced
1/3 cup hot water (if needed)
juice from 1/2 lemon
salt & pepper to taste
1. Wash and remove the outer leaves from brussel sprouts, trim stem end and cut in half. If brussel sprout is smaller, you can leave whole & just cut an X in the bottom to allow heat to penetrate.
2. In a large skillet, cook bacon until evenly browned. Remove bacon from skillet, leaving grease behind.
3. Stir butter and olive oil into bacon grease. Add shallots and cook until translucent.
4. Add the halved brussels sprouts and pan fry, stirring frequently until the brussels sprouts are golden and tender, yet still slightly firm, about 10 minutes. (Be careful not to burn them or they will taste bitter) Add 1/3 cup hot water if pan is getting dry and sprouts aren’t cooking.
5. To re-heat bacon, add it back to the pan for the last 5 minutes of cooking time.
6. Squeeze lemon juice over cooked brussel sprouts and season with salt and pepper.