This delicious side dish was found on the website “Mangia Bedda”, created by Nadia Fazio. She shares this one and numerous other 100% authentic traditional Sicilian Italian recipes on her site. Many of these originated with her mother and grandmother (“Nonna”). For those who love Italian cooking, take some time to check it out, you won’t be disappointed!
Prep Time: 35 minutes
Cook Time: 56 minutes
Author: Nadia Fazio
8 medium Potatoes (about 3 pounds), peeled and cubed
1 bunch Swiss chard, tough stems removed and coarsely chopped
4 Tablespoons Olive oil, divided
1 Garlic clove, finely minced
Salt and Pepper
3/4 cup cubed* Cheese (Cheddar, Gruyere or Mozarella, Parmigiano Reggiano or other)
*Note from Nadia: You can choose to grate the cheese, if you prefer it to be more evenly distributed throughout the casserole.
1. In a large pot of salted water bring the potatoes to a boil and cook until tender, about 12 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, heat a large sauté pan and add the chopped Swiss chard with the water still clinging to the leaves. Cook on medium heat, stirring, until the leaves have wilted, about 2 minutes.
3. Add 1 Tablespoon olive oil and garlic and cook for one minute longer. Transfer to a bowl.
4. Preheat oven to 350 F. and grease a rectangular casserole with oil. When the potatoes are tender, drain and transfer them to a large bowl. Mash them, add 2 Tablespoons olive oil and add salt and pepper.
5. Add the cooked Swiss chard and stir to evenly distribute throughout the potatoes. Add the cubed cheese and stir.
6. Transfer to the prepared casserole and spread evenly to cover the casserole. Drizzle lightly with olive oil.
7. Bake at 350º F. for 30-40 minutes or until the top is golden and the cheese is melted. Serve immediately.
Greetings to each of you, We've arrived at week 16, our final CSA share of the season. Thank you for your loyalty and support...