1 large eggplant
3 large tomatoes, to match the diameter of the eggplant
1/2 pound feta cheese, crumbled
1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
juice of half lemon
2 garlic cloves
4 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Cut the eggplant crosswise into 1/2″ thick rounds. Lightly season them with salt and place in a colander for 30 minutes to allow moisture to drain out of the eggplant.
Once ready drizzle olive oil on top of each slice and grill them on a lightly oiled grill rack for 2 -3 minutes on each side.
3. Blend the basil leaves with 4 tablespoons olive oil, 2 garlic cloves, lemon juice and 1 teaspoon salt in an immersion blender until smooth.
4. Cut the tomatoes crosswise into 1/4” thick rounds.
5. Lightly oil the baking pan. Arrange 4 eggplant rounds side by side.
6. Spread 1/2 tablespoon of the basil-garlic mixture on top of each one, then generously sprinkle feta crumbs.
7. Top each with tomato rings. Add another layer of eggplant, basil spread, feta and tomato rounds and top with the rest of the crumbled feta.
8. Drizzle some olive oil on top of each stack and bake for 15 minutes.
Makes 4 servings.