For those who may be new to rutabagas, we thought this recipe would be a good introduction. It’s easy and quick to make. The only drawback is, it involves turning on the oven–something most of us are avoiding on these hot days! This recipe was found on Pinterest, courtesy of Kacey, “The Cookie Writer”. Note that Kacey suggests placing the fries into cold water and refrigerating them overnight, to promote crispness.
1 small rutabaga, skin removed
1/4-1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4-1/2 teaspoon cayenne powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1-2 Tablespoons olive oil
1. Slice the rutabaga in half, and then cut into “fries.”
(Optional: place fries into cold water and allow them to sit in the refrigerator overnight. This trick works for crispy french fries. You can skip this step if you like.)
2. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
3. Drain rutabaga fries if you chilled them overnight. Pat dry. Add 1 tbsp. olive oil and toss until evenly coated (Add the second tablespoon of oil if necessary.)
4. Add the spices and toss again. Transfer to baking sheet and spread out so no fries overlap. Remember not to overcrowd–allow room between fries.
5. Place into oven and bake for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and flip. Continue baking for another 10-15 minutes, or until desired consistency is reached.
6. Remove from oven and serve immediately.