This recipe, originally from Saveur magazine, is one that supermodel Cindy Crawford makes in her Malibu home all the time and it’s one of her husband Rande’s favorite things.
For the crust:
2 -2/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup vegetable oil
6 tablespoons cold milk
For the filling:
1 -1/4 cups plus 2 teaspoons sugar
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
3 cups halved strawberries
2 cups thinly sliced rhubarb
2 tablespoons butter, cut up
2 teaspoons milk
1. To make crust, preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Mix flour and salt in large bowl.
3. Measure oil and milk together in measuring cup; don’t stir.
4. Add oil and milk to flour.
5. Roll out crust on wax paper.
1. To make filling, mix sugar, flour, nutmeg and cinnamon.
2. Add fruit, stirring to coat. ( Can set aside in refrigerator and then drain later.)
3. Fill crust with filling. Scatter butter.
4. Add top crust. Pinch edges and ventilate the top. Brush with milk. Sprinkle sugar on top.
5. Bake on cookie sheet for 50 minutes. Cover edge of crust with tinfoil if cooking too fast.
Allow to cool 1 hour before serving.