Found on the web-site “Genius Kitchen”, this recipe was shared by Brenda M. It’s a simple sauce, reminding us of ones our grandmothers made. Serve it over ice cream, angel food cake, oatmeal, or just as is.
Ready in: 35 minutes
Yield: 3 cups
2 1⁄2 cups chopped Rhubarb (1 inch pieces, fresh or frozen)
1 cup Water
1⁄2 cup Sugar
2 tablespoons grated Lemon rind
1⁄4 teaspoon Salt
1 cup sliced Strawberries (fresh or frozen unsweetened)
2 Tablespoons Lemon juice
1⁄4 teaspoon ground Cinnamon
3-4 drops Red food coloring (optional)
1. In a saucepan, combine rhubarb, water, sugar, lemon peel and salt; bring to a boil.
2. Reduce heat.
3. Cook, uncovered over medium heat until rhubarb is soft (about 10- 15 minutes) Remove from the heat and let stand for 5 minutes.
4. Stir in strawberries, lemon juice and cinnamon.
5. Add food coloring if desired.
6. Cool and serve over cake, ice cream, waffles, pancakes, etc.
(Note: the sauce will thicken as it cools.)
Greetings to each of you, We've arrived at week 16, our final CSA share of the season. Thank you for your loyalty and support...