Prep time: 35 minutes
Bake time: 1 hour
Servings: 1 loaf (about 14 slices)
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup buttermilk or sour milk*
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups shredded, peeled apples (about 4 medium)
1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
1/2 cup raisins
Ingredients for Streusel-Nut Topping:
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
3 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 Tablespoons butter
1/3 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease the bottom and 1/2 inch up the sides of an 9x5x3-inch loaf pan; set aside.
2. In a large bowl, beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Beat in sugar until combined. Add buttermilk and baking powder; beat until combined. Add eggs and vanilla; beat until combined. Add flour and salt; beat until combined. Stir in apples, nuts, and raisins.
3. Spoon batter into prepared pan; spread evenly. Sprinkle Streusel-Nut Topping over batter. Bake for 60-65 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
4. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove from pan. Cool completely on wire rack. Wrap and store overnight before slicing.
Directions for making Streusel-Nut Topping:
1. In a small bowl, combine 1/4 cup packed brown sugar and 3 Tablespoons all-purpose flour.
2. Using a pastry blender, cut in 2 Tablespoons butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
3. Stir in 1/3 cup chopped walnuts or pecans.
*To make 1/4 cup sour milk, place 3/4 teaspoon lemon juice or vinegar in a glass measuring cup. Add enough milk to make 1/4 cup total liquid; stir. Let mixture stand for 5 minutes before using.