Many of us have our own favorite fried green tomato recipes, but here is one, offered by Kristyn on Pinterest, that uses a blend of coatings to give the tomatoes a great flavor and a nice crispy texture. By lightly cooking in oil and not deep-frying, less fat is also used. This recipe is easily doubled.
Cooking time: 30 minutes
1 hard green tomato, sliced
3/4 cup panko bread crumbs
1/4 cup regular Italian bread crumbs
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
salt and pepper
1 egg, beaten
Vegetable oil for frying, about 1/4 cup
1. Slice the tomato into 1/4 inch slices and add oil to the skillet and heat to medium.
2. Set up your dredging station by putting the flour, beaten egg, and breadcrumbs into 3 bowls in that order.
3. Pat dry tomato slices, so that the crust will hold better, and sprinkle salt and pepper on both sides, then proceed to dredge into the flour, coating well, and then into the egg, and then into the breadcrumbs.
4. Repeat until all slices are well coated.
5. Pan fry about 3 at a time, so not to crowd, at 3 minutes or so per side. Drain on a paper towel, let cool, then enjoy!