Many of us are looking for more ways to add grains to our diet. Here is a quick and easy recipe using yellow wax beans and black quinoa. Shared on Pinterest by Bev Weidner, this recipe can be found on the website tastykitchen.com.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
1 cup Black Quinoa
1/2 pound Yellow Wax Beans
2 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 whole Small Sweet Onion, Sliced
2 cloves Garlic, Minced
1 teaspoon Turmeric
1/2 teaspoons Cayenne
Salt and Freshly Ground Pepper, to taste
1/4 cup Slivered Almonds, Toasted
2 whole Basil Leaves, Thinly Sliced
1. Cook the quinoa in enough water until they open up like little spirals. Add more water as needed.
2. Bring another pot of salted water to a boil and add the beans. Cook for 2 minutes, until crisp-tender. Drain and throw into an ice bath to stop the cooking.
3. Bring the oil to a medium-high heat in a skillet. Add the onions and saute until slightly softened, 5 minutes.
4. Add the garlic, turmeric and cayenne. Bloom the spices another minute.
5. Add the blanched beans, and toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper and cook about 1 more minute.
6. Serve beans over a helping of the black quinoa and garnish with almonds and slivered basil.