Prep Time: 20 minutes
1 cup fresh bread crumbs
2 cloves garlic, split in half lengthwise
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1 pound kale
4 teaspoons lemon juice
1 ounce Parmigiano-Reggiano, grated or shaved with vegetable peeler
To toast bread crumbs:
1. In small sauce pan, combine bread crumbs, garlic, lemon zest and 3 tablespoons olive oil.
2. Stir to coat well. (Note: there should be only light trace of oil in bottom of pan.)
3. Season with pinch of salt, and place over medium-high heat.
4. Cook, stirring constantly, for 5 minutes or until crumbs have darkened and toasted. Transfer to small bowl.
5. Set aside to cool slightly.
To prepare kale:
1. Remove and discard stems from kale. Chop leaves into bite-size pieces.
2. Place in large mixing bowl. Add 1 teaspoon salt and olive oil.
3. Grab leaves by handfuls and massage them roughly-don’t be timid!-for 1 to 2 minutes or until stiff leaves turn soft and silky. (Note: Remember that the volume of kale will be reduced by half.)
1. Add toasted bread crumbs and lemon juice to kale. Toss well. Season to taste with more salt and lemon juice, if necessary.
2. Arrange on separate salad plates or on platter.
3. Sprinkle with grated or shaved Parmigiano-Reggiano.