2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 lb. (6-7 medium) carrots, peeled
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
4 large eggs
1 1/2 cups canola, safflower or vegetable oil
12 oz. cream cheese, cold
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
4 cups powdered sugar, sifted
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line muffin pan with baking cup liners.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, spices and salt; set aside.
3. In a food processor fitted with a shredding disk, shred the carrots. Transfer the carrots to the bowl with the dry ingredients and set aside.
6. Divide the batter evenly among muffin pan cups. Bake 20 to 24 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center of cupcakes comes out clean. Cool cupcakes in muffin pan on wire rack for 5 minutes. Carefully lift each cupcake from muffin pan and set on wire rack. Cool to room temperature.
1. Line the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment beat the cream cheese and butter on medium-high speed until combined and smooth, about 2-3 minutes.
2. Mix in the vanilla extract.
3. Gradually beat in the powdered sugar until totally incorporated, increase the speed and then beat until smooth.
4. Frost cooled cupcakes as desired.