Of course green beans are delicious just as they are, cooked till they reach that bright green color, and served with a little butter, salt and pepper. But if you’d like to take it up a notch, try this salad recipe from famed chef Emeril Lagasse. It’s quick and easy, and full of flavor!
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Yield: 6 servings
Coarse salt and ground pepper
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 small garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon grated lemon zest, plus 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 1/2 pounds thin green beans, trimmed
2 small red onions, quartered through root end (leaving root end attached)
1. Heat grill to medium-low.
2. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil, and prepare a large bowl of ice water.
3. (Dressing) In another large bowl, combine 2 tablespoons oil, garlic, lemon zest and juice; set aside.
4. Cook green beans in boiling water until crisp-tender, 2 to 3 minutes.
5. Using a slotted spoon, transfer immediately to ice-water bath. Drain beans well, pat dry, and add to bowl with dressing. Set aside.
6. Toss onion wedges with remaining tablespoon oil; season with salt and pepper.
7. Grill until lightly charred, 4 to 6 minutes per side. When cool, trim root end off, and thinly slice onions; add to bowl with green beans, and toss to combine.
To store, refrigerate up to 2 days.