(Make the full recipe and use extras for burritos- just wrap filling in a tortilla and freeze until you’re ready to eat, then pop in the microwave for about 4-5 minutes and you’ve got another meal!)
1 onion, chopped
1 bell pepper, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced/grated
1 cup dry brown rice, cooked to package directions
1 can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
1 can fire roasted tomatoes, drained
1-2 Tablespoons chili powder
1/2-1 Tablespoon cumin
salt and pepper to taste
12 poblano peppers, halved and seeds removed
8-12 ounces Mexican style cheese, shredded
optional: chopped green onion bulbs for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. In a medium pan, saute onion, pepper and garlic until soft, about 10 minutes.
3. While onion mixture is cooking, combine cooked rice, beans, and tomatoes in a large bowl. Add onion mixture and spices and stir to combine. At this point, add as much cheese as you’d like, or save it all for the topping.
4. Place halved poblanos in a large glass baking dish.
5. Fill each pepper with the rice mixture and cover each with the shredded cheese.
6. Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes, making sure the top of the cheese doesn’t burn.
7. Remove from the oven, garnish with chopped green onions and serve immediately.