This recipe was found in the book “Not Your Mother’s Casseroles,” by Faith Durand.
Servings: 6 to 8
3 medium-size zucchini, sliced crosswise into 1/4-inch coins
3 medium-size yellow squash, sliced crosswise into 1/4-inch coins
1/3 cup olive oil, plus more for drizzling
1/2 cup loosely packed fresh basil leaves, finely chopped
4 sprigs fresh oregano (leaves only)
1-1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
3 large tomatoes, thinly sliced
1 cup bread crumbs
1/2 cup plus 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly grease bottom of 9×11 inch baking dish with olive oil.
2. Toss zucchini and yellow squash in large bowl with 1/3 cup olive oil, basil, oregano, 1 teaspoon salt
and 1/2 teaspoon pepper.
3. Lay half the sliced zucchini and squash in the bottom of baking dish, overlapping slices.
4. Top with an overlapping layer of tomatoes, drizzle lightly with olive oil, and cover with 1/2 cup of Parmesan cheese.
5. Add a layer of remaining zucchini and squash and one more layer of remaining tomatoes.
Bread Crumb Topping:
1. Mix bread crumbs, 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper in a small bowl.
2. Sprinkle thickly on top of casserole.
3. Drizzle with olive oil and bake for 35 minutes, or until casserole is bubbly and bread crumbs are browned.
4. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.