This is a favorite family recipe shared by Linda Brown, one of Pahl’s employees. It’s a perfect summer evening dinner, out on the deck or patio. Just add some fresh roasted sweet corn and your beverage of choice–what could be better? Thank you, Linda!
4 Tablespoons Butter
4 Tablespoons Flour
2 teaspoons Chili powder
2 cups Milk
2 cups grated Cheddar cheese
Salt and pepper
6 cups diced Summer squash (yellow or zucchini, or a combination of both)
2 Tablespoons Olive oil
1-1/2 cups diced Onion
3 minced Garlic cloves
minced Hot peppers, to taste
12 flour Tortillas
3 cups diced Tomatoes
Optional: Sour cream, Guacamole, Cilantro, Salsa, Black beans, extra grated Cheese
Directions: (for the cheese sauce)
1. Melt the butter, stir in flour and chili powder to make a thick paste.
2. Add the milk very slowly, stirring constantly to avoid lumps. Add cheese and heat until the cheese is melted.
3. Season with salt and pepper.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. (Note: Linda microwaved these and they came out great.)
Directions: (for the squash filling)
1. Steam squash until just tender (5 minutes).
2. Saute onion, garlic and hot peppers in olive oil until limp (3-5 minutes).
3. Add squash and 3/4 of the cheese mixture.
4. Spoon squash filling into tortillas and roll. Place seam side down in baking dish so the squash doesn’t fall out.
5. Spoon on extra sauce and diced tomatoes.
6. Bake for 30 minutes or microwave on high for 4-5 minutes.
7. Serve with sour cream, guacamole, cilantro, salsa, black beans, extra grated cheese . . . according to your family’s preferences