Soup in the summertime? Seriously? Let’s give the guys a break from all that grilling they’ve been doing this summer and change it up a bit. Found on the Allrecipes.com website, this could be put together quickly in the morning and will then be ready whenever you are. It also offers you a way to use your delicious Von Hanson’s bacon included in this week’s share.
Prep time: 25 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes
Ready in: 1 hour 10 minutes
10 slices Bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
2 Tablespoons Butter
1 cup diced Yellow Onion
1 cup diced Red Bell Pepper
1 large Jalapeno Chili Pepper, diced
1 large clove Garlic, minced
1/4 cup all-purpose Flour
1 1/2 teaspoons Kosher Salt
1/2 teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
1/2 teaspoon Ground Cumin
1/2 teaspoon Chili Powder
1 pinch Cayenne Pepper
5 cups unsalted Chicken Broth
3 1/2 cups Potatoes, diced into 3/4″ pieces
1 (4 ounce) can chopped Green Chiles, drained
3 cups Corn
3 cups chopped Rotisserie Chicken
2 cups Half-and-Half
1 cup grated sharp Cheddar Cheese
1/2 cup grated sharp Cheddar Cheese
1/4 cup chopped fresh Cilantro leaves
1/4 cup chopped Green Onion
1. Place bacon in a Dutch oven and cook over medium-high heat, turning occasionally, until evenly browned and slightly crisp, about 10 minutes. Drain bacon pieces on paper towels. Drain off all but 2 tablespoons bacon grease from pot.
2. Melt butter in the pot with the remaining bacon grease over medium heat. Add onion, red bell pepper, and jalapeno.
3. Saute until just softened, 5 or 6 minutes. Add minced garlic and saute for 1 minute. Whisk in flour and stir until completely incorporated, about 2 minutes.
4. Season with salt, pepper, cumin, chili powder, and cayenne pepper. Gradually whisk in unsalted chicken broth, stirring to prevent flour from clumping. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
5. Add potatoes and green chiles; reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer until vegetables begin to soften, about 12 minutes
6. Stir in corn and chopped chicken. Add 1/2 cup of cooked bacon pieces. Add half and half; stir. Reduce heat to low; simmer very slowly until chicken and corn are heated through, 8 to 10 minutes.
7. Remove pot from heat. Stir in 1 cup grated Cheddar cheese until cheese melts.
8. Pour soup into bowls and garnish with reserved bacon, grated Cheddar cheese, cilantro, and green onions.