This recipe was found on the Allrecipes.com website. It was shared by Alli Shircliff, who makes it often for her friends, as it’s a perennial favorite!
Prep time: 20 minutes
Ready in: 30 minutes
1 bunch Kale, ribs discarded and leaves cut into thin strips
1 teaspoon Olive Oil
2 pinches Salt
Ingredients for Lemon Vinaigrette:
1/4 cup Olive Oil
1 Lemon, juiced
1 Tablespoon Dijon Mustard
1 teaspoon Maple syrup, or more to taste
1/4 teaspoon ground Cumin
1 pinch Garlic powder, or to taste
1 pinch Cayenne pepper, or to taste
Salt and ground Black pepper to taste
Ingredients for the Salad:
2 Carrots, grated
1/2 cup roasted Corn
1/4 cup crushed Tortilla chips
1/4 cup dry-roasted Almonds, coarsely chopped
2 tablespoons grated smoked White cheese
2 hard-boiled Eggs, chopped
Optional: Cherry tomatoes, grape tomatoes, or chopped tomatoes may be added just before serving.
1. Place kale in a large serving bowl; add 1 teaspoon olive oil and 2 pinches salt. Gently massage the oil and salt into kale. Set aside to allow kale to soften, about 10 minutes.
2. Combine 1/4 cup olive oil, lemon juice, Dijon mustard, maple syrup, cumin, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper in a plastic or glass container with a lid.
3. Cover container and vigorously shake until dressing is light yellow and evenly combined.
4. Layer carrots, roasted corn, tortilla chips, almonds, and smoked cheese on top of kale. Drizzle dressing over salad.
5. Mix salad using tongs to evenly distribute. Gently stir hard-boiled eggs into salad.
Depending on the size of the lemons, maple syrup may need to be increased if the dressing is too tangy.
Alli encourages us to always taste-test the dressing before adding it to the salad. She recommends tasting and adjusting the maple syrup, salt, pepper, and/or Dijon mustard.