The credit for this delicious butternut squash recipe goes to Wendy Polisi, who shares a wide selection of recipes featuring quinoa on her site, www.wendypolisi.com.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Total Cook time: Approx. 1 1/2 hours
4 cups Butternut squash, peeled and diced
1 teaspoon Olive oil (Dee needed to use a little more than this amount)
3 Shallots, minced (green top onions may be substituted)
1 Tablespoon fresh Sage
6 cloves Garlic, minced
1 cup of Quinoa, rinsed
1 1/2 cups Vegetable or Chicken broth
1 1/2 teaspoons Sea salt
1/2 teaspoon Black pepper
1/4 teaspoon Cayenne pepper
2 Eggs, beaten (optional)
1/2 cup Milk—dairy, soy or almond
1 cup Gruyere or Swiss cheese, shredded (Mild Provolone may be substituted)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a large baking sheet with olive oil. (Or line baking sheet with parchment paper.) Add squash and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast for 15 minutes.
2. Heat olive oil over medium heat. Add shallots and sage and cook for 8 minutes or until shallots are tender.
3. Add in garlic and cook for another 30 seconds. Add in quinoa and squash and stir for another minute.
4. Add in broth, black pepper, sea salt and cayenne pepper. Bring to a simmer and then reduce the heat to low.
5. Cover and cook for 25 minutes or until most of the liquid is absorbed.
6. Move the quinoa mixture to an oven safe pan.
7. In a small bowl, combine milk and eggs and pour over the quinoa mixture. Top with cheese.
8. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. If desired, broil for two minutes to brown the top.
Variations for Butternut Squash Quinoa Casserole
For more color and added nutrition, add in 8 ounces of sautéed spinach or kale just before baking.
For a more traditional “holiday feel” to the Butternut Squash Casserole, omit the cheese. Instead mix 1/4 cup melted butter, 1/4 cup brown sugar, 1/2 cup toasted pecans, 1/2 cup oats and 1/4 cup flour. Sprinkle on top of the casserole before baking.
Or try sauteing 6 ounces chopped mushrooms and add to the mixture prior to baking.
Greetings to each of you, We've arrived at week 16, our final CSA share of the season. Thank you for your loyalty and support...