This rich and moist snacking cake goes together quickly and probably will disappear just as quickly after your family tastes it. Another recipe found on the Taste of Home web-site, we are told it “was handed down from our beloved Grandma Kelly.”
Prep time: 25 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
1/2 cup canola oil
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1-1/2 cups finely shredded carrots
1 cup shredded peeled apple
CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, softened
1 Tablespoon butter, softened
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1-1/4 cups confectioners’ sugar
1. In a large bowl, beat the eggs, oil and sugars until smooth.
2. Combine the flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt; gradually add to egg mixture just until
combined. Stir in carrots and apple.
3. Spoon into a greased 9-inch square baking pan.
4. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
5. In a small bowl, combine the frosting ingredients; beat until smooth. Spread over cake. Store in the refrigerator.