This recipe shared by Tiffani on her blog, Daniel Fast Foodie, takes a little prep time, but it’s so worth it! Once everything is laid out, it goes together quickly. It has been adapted from a recipe originally found on the Mid West Living website.
Servings: 8 Spring Rolls
For the wrappers:
1 Tablespoon Kosher salt or sea salt
8 Napa cabbage leaves
4 cups Ice cubes
For the filling:
1 Tablespoon Coconut oil
2 cups Napa cabbage, finely chopped
1 cup Carrots, shredded or julienned
1/2 cup Green onion, chopped
2 cloves Garlic, minced
1 Tablespoon Soy sauce or Tamari, plus extra for dipping
1/4 teaspoon ground Black pepper
1/2 to 1 cup cooked Brown rice
1. In a large pot, bring 12 cups water and 1 tablespoon salt to a boil. Meanwhile, place the ice in a large bowl with 8 cups cold water.
2. Remove the 8 outermost leaves from the cabbage, and trim off 1 inch of the woody stems. Set the remaining head aside.
3. Carefully place the trimmed leaves into the boiling water for 1 minute or just until wilted. Transfer leaves to the ice water for 1 minute. (Use tongs and grab by the stems to avoid tearing the leaves.) Place leaves on a kitchen towel to dry.
4. Heat oil over medium-high heat. From the remaining head of cabbage, chop enough to measure 2 cups.
5. Stir-fry chopped cabbage, carrot and green onion for 2 minutes.
6. Add garlic, soy sauce or tamari and black pepper and cook for an additional minute.
7. Place 2 heaping Tablespoons of the vegetable mixture in the center of each blanched cabbage leaf. Add 1-2 Tablespoons of rice on top.
8. Fold the stem end over the filling and roll up tightly. Place on a serving dish, seam side down. Serve with soy sauce or tamari.