These are easy to make ahead. Simply mix together the filling, make the rolls and place in your baking dish (without water) until you are ready to start dinner. Then add the water and place them in the oven.
1 pound lean ground beef or ground turkey
2 carrots, shredded
1 cup cooked brown rice or quinoa
4-5 garlic cloves, minced
2 Tablespoons ginger, minced
1 small onion, minced
3 Tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
2 Tablespoons toasted sesame oil
2 teaspoons rice vinegar
1 teaspoon chili or chili-garlic sauce (found in the Asian section of your grocery store)
salt and pepper, to taste
leaves from 1 large head of Napa cabbage
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Prepare your filling by gently combining uncooked beef (or turkey), shredded carrots, cooked rice (or quinoa), garlic, ginger, onion, soy sauce, sesame oil, rice vinegar, chili sauce and a pinch of salt and black pepper in a large mixing bowl.
3. To make your leaves easy to roll, use a rolling pin to flatten to make leaves more pliable. If you find that your leaves are on the smaller side, use two to roll, overlapping both ends to make one big leaf.
4. Spoon your filling to each leaf. Carefully roll each leaf tightly and place side by side in a large baking dish. Pour 1 cup of water over stuffed cabbage rolls and cover with aluminum foil. Bake in preheated oven for about 30-35 minutes or until completely cooked through.
5. Serve with juices from baking dish and additional chili sauce.