This recipe was found on allrecipes.com.
Prep time: 15-25 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
Total time: 40-50 minutes
A savory change from the typical squash preparation. Delicious as is, but of course each person can salt and pepper their own serving to taste. Almonds, walnuts or toasted pine nuts can be used in addition to or instead of the pecans.
1 butternut squash or any type of winter squash
1 cup chopped red onion
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 ounces fresh spinach, stems removed and leaves torn in bite-size pieces
1/3 cup sweetened dried cranberries
1/3 cup chopped pecans (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Lightly grease a baking sheet.
2. Peel squash. (Tip: to make squash easier to peel, pierce skin and cook briefly in micro-wave on High–about 2-3 minutes. This will soften the skin.) Cut in half, remove seeds and strings. Dice squash into cubes.
3. Toss squash cubes, onion, and olive oil together in a bowl until coated; transfer to the prepared baking sheet.
4. Roast in the preheated oven until squash is tender and starting to brown, 25 to 30 minutes.
5. Toss squash mixture, spinach, dried cranberries, and pecans together in a serving bowl and serve warm.