By now we’re all familiar with using tomatillos to make salsa verde. After making your own homemade salsa verde, try using it in a main dish. The following chicken enchilada recipe is an easy start.
We found this delicious recipe on Pinterest. Isabel gets the credit for this creation, and you will find her blog on fromcatstocooking.com.
Prep time: 15-20 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
For the chicken:
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast or thighs (or pre-cooked shredded chicken)
1 Tablespoon olive oil
2 teaspoons cumin
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon coarse sea salt
Juice of 1/2 lime
For the enchiladas:
1 batch homemade tomatillo salsa verde, or 2 cans store-bought salsa verde
10 corn tortillas (soft flour tortillas can also be used)
2 cups shredded Mexican cheese
Diced tomatoes, for topping (optional)
Chopped cilantro, for topping (optional)
Chopped green onions, for topping (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Slice chicken breast or thighs into thin strips.
3. In a medium bowl, combine chicken, olive oil, cumin, oregano, onion powder, sea salt and lime juice.
4. Place seasoned chicken onto a large baking sheet and bake in oven for 10 to 12 minutes.
5. Warm corn tortillas in the microwave for 30 seconds to soften them.
6. In a 2-quart baking dish, begin to assemble the enchiladas. Spoon some of the baked chicken into a warm tortilla.
7. Roll up like a taquito and place in baking dish, seam side down. Continue until all tortillas have been filled.
8. Pour the salsa verde evenly on top of the enchiladas. Top with shredded cheese.
9. Bake for 20 minutes or until cheese starts to bubble.
10. Serve with diced tomatoes, cilantro and green onions.