This recipe was found on Allrecipes.com. Any root vegetable can be used, replacing or in addition to the beets. Try rutabagas or parsnips.
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes
Ready in: 1 hour 15 minutes
1 cup diced, raw beets
4 carrots, diced
1 onion, diced
2 cups diced potatoes
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup canned garbanzo beans (chickpeas), drained
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 Tablespoon dried thyme leaves
salt and pepper to taste
1/3 cup dry white wine
1 cup torn beet greens
1. Preheat an oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Place the beets, carrots, onion, potatoes, garlic, and garbanzo beans into a 9×13 inch baking dish. Drizzle with the olive oil, then season with thyme, salt, and pepper. Mix well.
3. Bake, uncovered, in the preheated oven for 30 minutes, stirring once midway through baking.
4. Remove the baking dish from the oven, and stir in the wine. Return to the oven, and bake until the wine has mostly evaporated and the vegetables are tender, about 15 minutes more.
5. Stir in the beet greens, allowing them to wilt from the heat of the vegetables. Season to taste with salt and pepper before serving.