Mellissa Sevigny offers her kid friendly recipe for eggplant fries on her site, “I Breathe I’m Hungry” (IBIH). The ingredient amounts called for can be easily adjusted to make a smaller amount of servings.
2 large Eggplant
2 Eggs, beaten
1/2 cup Coconut flour
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 teaspoon Garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon Salt
1/8 teaspoon Pepper
1/2 teaspoon Parsley flakes
1/2 cup Olive oil for frying
1. Peel the eggplant and cut into strips about 3/4 inch wide and 4 inches long to mimic fries.
2. In a small bowl, beat the 2 eggs.
3. In another medium bowl, combine the parmesan cheese, coconut flour, garlic powder, salt, pepper and parsley flakes.
4. Start heating your oil in a medium saute pan.
5. Soak the eggplant in the egg mixture for a minute or two and then transfer in small batches to the herb & parmesan coating.
6. Once coated, cook in small batches in the hot oil, turning once to brown both sides. Remove to a plate lined with paper towels to soak up any extra oil.
Serve with a low carb marinara sauce of your choice for dipping.
These can be made up to an hour ahead – To reheat: Simply lay them out on a greased cookie sheet in a single layer and re-heat in the oven at 375 degrees (F) for 7-8 minutes just before serving.
Wow, week 16 already. Thank you to each and every one of you for your participation in this years CSA. We are grateful to you...