This recipe comes to us courtesy of the Madison Area Community Supported Agriculture Coalition. It was found in their publication “From Asparagus to Zucchini: A Guide to Cooking Farm-Fresh Seasonal Produce” (third edition). This would be a great dish to serve when celebrating Oktoberfest.
4 packed cups thinly sliced red or green cabbage (3/4-1 pound)
3 cups peeled, sliced tart apples
1 cup sliced red or yellow onion
1/2 cup apple cider or beer
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1 teaspoon caraway seeds (optional)
1/2 teaspoon salt
coarsely ground black pepper to taste
1. Place cabbage, apples, red or yellow onion, and cider or beer in heavy saucepan or skillet.
2. Cover and cook over medium heat until vegetables become slightly tender, about 8 minutes.
3. Add remaining ingredients; cook another 7-8 minutes.
4. Add more cider if necessary to keep vegetables from sticking.
5. Serve with ring bologna, bratwurst, kielbasa, or sauteed mushrooms.