This recipe was shared with us by Brenda Alreck, one of our “greenhouse ladies.” It’s a great one-pot meal to warm up the family as the weather turns colder.
2 Tablespoons butter or margarine
1 cup chopped onion
3/4 cup chopped celery
3 Tablespoons flour
3/4 cup beef broth
1 teaspoon dried leaf thyme
1/4 teaspoon Tabasco pepper sauce
1 small head cabbage, cut in chunks (about 4 cups)
3 medium carrots, cut in chunks (about 1 cup)
3 medium potatoes, cut in chunks (about 2 cups)
1 pound kielbasa or other Polish sausage, cut in 1-inch pieces
1 bay leaf
1. In medium skillet melt butter; saute onion and celery until crisp-tender.
2. Stir in flour; cook 1 minute. Gradually stir in broth until smooth.
3. Add thyme and Tabasco sauce; mix well.
4. In a 3-quart casserole arrange cabbage, carrots, potatoes and kielbasa; pour broth mixture over all.
5. Add bay leaf. Cover. Bake in oven at 350 degrees F. for 45 minutes.
6. Uncover; bake 20 minutes longer, or until vegetables are tender. Remove bay leaf before serving.