This recipe is from Belva Halley, of Harmony Valley Farm, and it’s included in the recipes found in the publication “From Asparagus to Zucchini: A Guide to Cooking Farm-Fresh Seasonal Produce”–Third edition, Jones Books, 2004.
1 sheet refrigerated pie crust
6 Roma tomatoes, cut 1/4 inch thick
coarse salt (optional)
2 cups shredded mozzarella or Swiss cheese
1/3 cup minced fresh basil
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1. Heat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Prepare pie crust sheet, using a 9 1/2-inch tart pan. Do not prick crust.
3. Partially bake crust 9-11 minutes. (If crust puffs up, gently press back with back of wooden spoon.)
4. Remove and cool crust; reduce oven heat to 375 degrees.
5. Sprinkle tomatoes with salt, if desired, and place in single layer on paper towels; let drain 30 minutes.
6. Pat dry. Sprinkle cheese evenly in cooled pastry shell.
7. Arrange tomatoes over cheese in an overlapping circular pattern, covering surface.
8. Brush tomatoes with olive oil. Sprinkle with basil and pepper.
9. Bake 30-35 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before slicing. Serve hot or at room temperature.